The Love Bet; Part 17
--
The sun shone down upon the hospital bed and Mariette stirred from her sleep. Her mother and father had just arrived from home. It was now 9 A.M. and Mariette had already missed one week of school. They looked at her lovingly, pityingly and wished that she was awake, that she wasn't paralyzed, that she wasn't blind. But she was, she was still paralyzed and she was still blind.
"Do you think it's our fault for not paying her so much attention?" MRs. Welsh asked her husband quietly.
"We couldn't exactly just tell her straight out," Harold replied, hugging the weepy woman.
"But if only we ad told her, paid her a little more attention, maybe this wouldn't have happened," she cried, tears falling freely, like stars falling from the sky.
"We can't avoid it, it wasn't our fault," Harold pretested and MAriete began to awake, "she's waking up."
"Mum? Dad?" Mariette asked catiously as she tried to get up.
"Sweetie, we're right here," her sweet mother's voice calmed her immediately, it was better off for MAriete to not know.
"Mum, I was dreaming, and there was this girl, she was so beautiful and looked exactly like me," Mariete told the person, she hated not being able to see, "but the weird this was, that you and dad was there too, and I was standing right next to her," she continued, "and when she talked to you, it was so melodic, and when you looked at her, you seemed to see through me and..." Mariete paused to take a breath, "I thought you guys had replaced me, that I was just a ghost, and I missed being with you..."
"It was just a dream," Harold said softly, "dreams don't mean anything in particular."
"But, daddy, that's the thing, they don't mean anything to you, but to me, they mean the world," MAriete sighed as she tried to move her arm again.
Mariete was lucky she couldn't see because if she could, she would see her mother crying, trying not to let the sound of her heart being heard. Trying to wipe away all those tears and knowing she could never tell Mariete everything. She regretted it. And Mariete was lucky she couldn't move, because if she could hug her mom, she would realize her mom was thinner and she would feel her tears when they hugged and the shakes that she was having when she cried. But Mariete wanted to see, even if all she could see was her mother's tears, she wanted to be able to hold her mom again, to be there. And MAriete wanted to cry.
"Mum, Dad, I wish I could see again, and just hug you two..." MAriete said softly before the door opened and closed.
"Is there any progress from last time?" the doctor asked as he clicked his pen annoyingly.
"No, doc, i thought you were the smart one, I still can't see, and on top of that, my arms still can't move, and no matter how hard my mom tries to hide from me that she's crying, I can still tell," Mariete said harshly, the doctor couldn't save her, only time could after all, time healed all wounds.
"I'm sorry you feel that way about me," the doctor said before recording some quick notes and leaving the room, the door shutting behind him onlyto be opened shortly afterwards.
"Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Welsh, isn't it a lovely Saturday?" a voice said a little too happy for such a sad and dreary place.
"Hello Victor, are you here to see Mariete again?" Brenda asked the boy.
"Yea, just for a friendly visit, to see how she's doing and all," Victor smiled at her parents and Mariete wished she could see that smile.
"That's sweet," Mariete's mother cooed.
"Yea, and here are some flowers for her," Victor added as he held out the bouquet in his hands, "I know she can't see them or hold them, but I thought that she might enjoy the scent and if she doesn't, at least you guys would."
"Thank you Victor, please leave," MAriete said coldly, craning her head to look at him even though she couldn't see.
"WEll, all the teachers and students also sent me here on their behalf, they want to tell you that they hope they see you again soon, and that you have a hastey recovery from your accident," Victor continued to smile, trying to forget that cold gaze of hers, "and I didn't tell them about it, just in case you didn't want me to."
"How thoughtful," Mariete said sarcastically.
"Well, I have to go, my mom expects me home," Victor lied before exiting and the click of the door closing was heard once again.
"Mariete," Harold started, "that was rude beyond belief!"
"You didn't exactly expect me to greet him with open arms did you?" Mariete scoffed as she tried to cross her arms.
"Actually, we did, how could you?" Brenda said, "He's been really kind, and he was one of the only people who visited you!"
"I really don't care," Mariete snapped before resigning and realized she was so tired, "I'm going back to sleep, there's nothing else to do anyways..."
"Have pleasent dreams," her parents said softly.
Mariete wanted pleasent dreams, but all she wanted was for her to be recovered. She still had to finish her revenge and that wouldn't work if she was stuck in the hospital bed and mad at Victor. She needed a new plan and she prayed that God would answer her in her dreams...
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment