Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Love Bet: Part 20 ♥

The Love Bet; Part 20
--

"Harold, why did you take me away from Valerie?" Mariete's mother slurred.
"Sweetie, you're drunk!" he exclaimed with realization.
"No, I'm not," she giggled as she reached towards the door.
"Mr. and Mrs. Welsh?" Victor said nervously, holding a bouquet of flowers, once again, in his hands and looking at the parents.
"Oh, Victor," Mr. Welsh said gruffly looking at the boy.
"Mr. Welsh, this is my friend, Derrick," Victor said as he side stepped to reveal the boy who was picking at his fingernails.
"Another friend of Mariete's?" Harold asked.
"Mr. Welsh, it's nice to see you again," Derrick said, shaking the hand of the man who was once his nerdy girlfriend's father.
"Harold, who's Mariete?" the mother asked, "are they all friends of Valerie's? God knows that she needs someone to talk to..."
"Ms. Welsh, we'll just go right in," Derrick faked a sickeningly sweet smile and opened the door.
"Have fun with Valerie!!" the mother said joyfully as Harold dragged her to the car and left the two teenage boys to talk to Mariete.
"Mr. Welsh, can I talk to you for a moment?" Victor asked as he caught up to the father.
"Of course."

***

"Hey Mariete, remember me?" Derrick asked smirking at the helpless girl in front of him, the girl who was sipping a cup of water.
"Who are you?" Mariete asked coldly, knowing fully well who it was.
"Wanna tell me who Valerie is?" Derrick asked casually.
"I have no idea, Derrick, get out!" Mariete said firmly.
"I'll tell you..." Derrick smiled smugly before walking around the room.

***
"Mr. Welsh, who's Valerie?" Victor asked him seriously.
"No comment," he said before opening the door and helping his wife into the car.
"Mr. Welsh," Victor said.
"Valarie, was our daughter," the older man said before turning away and going into the car.

***
"You see... you had an older sister..." Derrick said slowly as if talking to a three year old.
"I don't have one!" Mariete snapped.
"Not anymore, you don't, but what about before..." Derrick continued.
"SHUT UP! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!" Mariete shot back, angrily.
"Of course I do, I heard your parents say that you almost..."

***
Victor walked back into the hospital thinking of Mariete. How was she now? Was Mariete feeling better? Could she see? Could she move her arms? Was she still the same? How was she faring with Derrick? Then he stopped, realizing what he had done.

"Fu**," he said under his breath before running into the building.

***
"No, I don't think I'll stop, after all, this was the reason why you came back wasn't it?" Derrick sneered at Mariete.
"Shut up!" Mariete said weakly.
"Tell me, did you enjoy making fun of me? Did you enjoy seeing my reaction?" he growled as he grabbed Mariete's arm.
"You don't know anything!" Mariete, refusing to be portrayed as weak.
"I know a lot of things. You thought you could use my best friend..." Derrick continued looking at the girl who was under his grip.
"Mariete?" Victor asked as he looked inside.
"Yes, bi*ch, tell him everything," Derrick growled, "or I'll tell everything else..."
"I refuse to," Mariete said softly.
"What, sweetie, I didn't here you," Derrick snapped.
"SHUT UP DERRICK!! YOU KNOW WHAT?!?! JUST SHUT UP! LEAVE ME ALONE!!" Mariete wanted to cry and she let a tear slip, the first in weeks.
"So Victor, do you know who Valarie was?" Derrick asked.
"Yea, her older sister..." Victor said looking at Mariete, emotions masked.
"Do you want to know more?" Derrick asked wickedly as Mariete opened her eyes and you could see the emotionless eyes, except the tears...
"No, I don't, let's just go," Victor said roughly, grabbign his friends arm and pulling him away. There was something wrong.

There was a missing piece. Who exactly was Mariete? Who was Valarie? What was Derrick talking about?
***

Mariete blinked. She didn't have to of course. But she somehow knew that there was something wrong with her. She closed her eyes and wished that Derrick was wrong. She really didn't want to use Victor like Derrick had used her. She didn't want to, but right now, it was neccesary. She began to dream, and she hoped that her dreams would lead to the answers she so desperately needed.